Pages

Monday, March 23, 2015

Neil Blomkamp shares new info on upcoming "Alien" sequel




Director Neil Blomkamp (District 9) has recently sat down on Empire´s podcast and shared a bit of info on the upcoming and announced Alien sequel which he is helming.

Blomkamp who is very enthusiastic about his new project talked about the way the film was conceived:

"2014 was a really weird year for me because I usually know quite decisively what I want to do, and in the process of post-production on Chappie, I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do. I had a bunch of different ideas for different films. My favourite, on a gut instinct, artistic level, was Alien, by a long way."

The Elysium director continued explaining how it all came about:


"If you go back even three or four years, I’ve wanted to make a film in that genre, in that franchise. I’d come up with an idea, and when I met Sigourney (Weaver) on the set of Chappie, I presumed that she would never want to play Ripley again. Rightly or wrongly, I had that in my head. I also didn’t know where you could go with her, given Alien 3 and 4." he said. 

"So when I started speaking to her, I just wanted to know more about the process of making the first two films. The first two are the ones that I care about. Then I started to realise there was a whole film – at least a film, if not more – that still contained Ripley, which I was really surprised by."

Blomkamp apparently has a title already decided but would not reveal it as he wants to keep the premise of the movie under wraps for now. However, he did explain how much time he has already invested in the forthcoming sequel:


"So when I went back to Vancouver for 2014 unclear of what I wanted to make, I knew that my artistic compass kept driving me to Alien. Whenever I wasn’t needed on Chappie, I spent time on Alien, to the point where I hired my own concept artist and fleshed the entire movie out, basically. Even then, I still didn’t know if I wanted to do it."

 The Chappie director also revealed he did change one aspect of the script which could collide with Prometheus 2 following conversations with fellow director Ridley Scott and producer of the fifth intallment of the franchise.

Are you looking forward to this brand new Alien sequel?

No comments:

Post a Comment