Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

NBC picks up Chelsea Handler comedy pilot


  According to Entertainment Weekly, NBC has reportedly picked up a comedy pilot based on Chelsea Handler's autobiographies. The show will be tentatively called after her second book, "Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea" , but will also draw stories from her other two best sellers "My Horizontal Life: A Collection Of One Night Stands" and "Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang".

  Even though the stories will be based around her life experiences, the plot will focus on a woman in her twenties who resembles Handler but is not a comedian or author. Handler explained: "The show will be mined from my books and allow me the creative control to put a younger actress in the situations I found myself in at 26 while I sit back, laugh, and not get arrested."

  Handler, who most recently hosted the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards, will executive produce the project.

  I think this is a great idea, although I cannot help but think that this show would be much more suitable for a cable network instead of NBC. Handler has a very sarcastic dark humour sometimes, and the inevitable censorship of ordinary networks might take some of that away, which I believe could be a big mistake. I had the opportunity of reading one of her books and her stories are both hilarious and entertaining, so I cannot wait to see what comes out of this show.

  Would you watch a show based on Chelsea Handler's books?

No comments:

Post a Comment