Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"Ripper", the other Buffy spin-off that could have been


  Just recently, Joss Whedon, creator of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and actor Anthony Head  (who played Giles for seven seasons on that show) have spoken to SFX about "Ripper", another Buffy spin-off which never materialized.

  According to Head, “There was one story. Joss fed it to me when we were filming the last episode of Buffy. He told me this idea, and it was just beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. And I said, ‘Yeah, I’d go with that.’ Then it all went very quiet. The problem being that anything to do with the Buffy universe has to be signed off by so many people, it’s pretty much a non-starter from the beginning."

  For years there were rumours that a show about the character of Rupert Giles was in the works and Whedon himself even confirmed that it was something he was looking forward to. So, what went wrong?

“It nearly came to fruition. I introduced Joss to [former Doctor Who executive producer] Julie Gardner. I met Julie, and she started talking about Joss, so I put the two of them together. They got on really, really well… But then Joss had that lunch meeting with Eliza Dushku, and that was that."

  So, there you have it. "Dollhouse" happened and "Ripper" never became a reality. However, Anthony Head hasn't given up on the project yet and he states that he would “love to do it in some form. I still think it’s a beautiful idea, which is why I’m not telling you what it is – it’s the most extraordinary ghost story. It doesn’t have to be Giles. I’d still do it as a one-off.”

  I would personally watch anything that has to do with the Buffyverse and has the name Joss Whedon attached to it. Lets just hope the upcoming "Avengers" movie by Whedon is a big hit that enables the tv wizard to pursue interesting projects like this one. Are you sad that "Ripper" never got the chance to take off? Hit the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment